The junior program at Barwon Heads has been steadily growing in recent years and this year it appears we will be continuing this trend of increased participation, we are currently planning for the following teams:
- Under 17s
- Under 15s – 2 teams
- Under 13s – 2 teams
- Girls – 2 teams (Stage 1 and Stage 2)
- Under 11s – 5 teams
- Junior Blasters (Ages 5 to 7)
This will essentially mean more than 150+ kids taking to the Village green – this doesn’t happen without the Senior Club’s support and the support of Volunteers to help Coach and Manage teams, through training and playing days.
With the uncertainty around the end of the current football and winter sport season, it has been difficult to plan a date for training commencement, although some of the U15s and 17s (along with some seniors) have enjoyed a couple of indoor hits at Geelong Indoor.
With all of this in mind, we are keen to make some plans and get some communication about what will happen if restrictions are eased in the coming days/weeks.
Competition Start Dates
For clarity, I have listed below the traditional start dates for each of the age groups:
- Boys comps (13,15,17) normally start the 2nd weekend of October, played on Sat mornings 8am to 11.30am
- Girls Comps normally have started the last weekend in October, Sunday mornings 10am to noon
- Under 11’s normally starts last weekend in October, Friday nights 5pm to 7.30pm
- Junior Blasters normally starts last weekend in October, Friday nights 5pm to 6pm
Coaches, Team Managers and Volunteers Needed
Please note all positions are currently open and we are seeking as many volunteers as possible to assist. This might be midweek coaching only or coaching/managing match days only, or just going on a roster to assist with some training nights.
To assist with planning for volunteers the likely training nights are listed below (Match days already listed above):
- U17s – Wed Nights 5pm to 6.30pm and one other senior training (Tues, Thurs)
- U15s – Wed Nights 5pm to 6.30pm and one other senior training (Tues, Thurs)
- U13s – Tues Nights 4.30pm to 6pm and Thurs (optional) 4.30 to 6pm
- Girls – Thurs Nights 4.30pm to 6pm
- U11s – Monday Nights 4.30pm to 6pm
- Junior Blasters – Friday Nights 5pm to 6pm
All persons wishing to be involved require a Working With Children Check (WWCC) and need a desire to help develop the next generation of cricketers and see them become part of our great Community Club. Training programs will be made available during the season, but a love for being involved is the most important aspect.
If you want to be involved, please send an email to: [email protected]
WORKING WITH CHILDREN CHECK
All persons wishing to be involved in our junior programs require a current Working With Children Check (WWCC) and must link their WWCC to the Barwon Heads Cricket Club. This can easily be done online at https://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au/ by updating your organisation details. The WWCC is free to obtain for volunteers.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN RESTRICTIONS EASE: (for the time being)
Whilst we need to be mindful of what might transpire for footy and any training that might take place, we will commence training immediately (if restrictions are eased to allow us to).
There will be combined Junior Sessions (U11s, u13s and Girls) run from 4.30pm on Monday and Wednesday nights and Senior Training (U15s, U17s) will commence on Tues and Thurs nights from 5pm.
Registrations are now open online through the link below and we strongly urge you to get online now and register your players, to assist us in planning with numbers for this upcoming season:
Google “play cricket” and enter the Barwon Heads postcode 3227
All inquiries can be made to Michael Moulton Junior Co-ordinator, via email [email protected]